Ensuring your Cloud Asset Management strategy delivers power and control over your applications and expenditure
The advent of Cloud offers organizations many advantages and it is estimated over 80% of IT budgets are committed to Cloud applications and solutions. With such a high proportion of costs assigned to Cloud, it is essential that organizations are in full control.
The particular challenges of Cloud Asset Management (CAM) necessitate an alternative approach, quite distinct from that traditionally applied to manage on-premise licensing models. Trying to piggy-back a Cloud Asset Management solution on top of one specifically designed to manage on-premise licensing will not deliver the data and results needed to control and optimize your Cloud estate. The challenges of managing Cloud IT estates are very different to on-premise and need different solutions.
Do You Have Visibility of Cloud Uptake Across Your Organization?
The ease with which people can now access SaaS, PaaS and IaaS creates visibility, awareness and cost control challenges for IT departments. The gap between what IT managers think they know about their estate and what is actually true is widening, increasing both risk and cost.
Do You Have Single Pane of Glass Visibility of Your Entire Cloud Estate?
Different Cloud application vendors and public Cloud providers have their own portals, making it difficult to access a consolidated view across your Cloud estate.
Do You Know What Is Being Used, How, Where and By Whom?
The Cloud creates new challenges from a license management perspective. Concerns around license over-spend outweigh those of compliance, with the main focus moving to optimization and understanding what applications are being used, how, where and by whom.
Do You Struggle to Gain Easy Access to Your Cloud Subscription Data?
Access to Cloud provider portals is often limited to just a single administrator, creating a bottleneck and inhibiting the ability for decision-makers and stakeholders to access or share valuable information.
Can You Successfully Plan Future Cloud Migrations?
Careful planning is needed to ensure that any migration to the Cloud is undertaken for the right reasons and avoid any unexpected Bill Shocks. To be successful, such planning has to be based on detailed, accurate and current information. With Cloud subscriptions often creating multi-year financial commitments, it is crucial to select the right subscription level for each user at the time of migration. This can only be done with component-level, usage-focused visibility across all users in the environment, to know whether an application is truly needed. Similarly, for PaaS and IaaS migrations, it is essential to understand the licensing impact of moving software from on-premise to Cloud-based environments.
Can You Access the Data You Need for Analysis?
Cloud portals are still largely embryonic. What this means is they have limited functionality and lack the ability to analyze data and produce valuable insight into usage and cost.
Are You Paying For More Than You Actually Need?
In the on-premise world, the burden is on the software vendor to ensure you are paying for what you are using. But in the Cloud world, the burden shifts and the onus is on you to ensure that you are paying for what you actually need. Cloud portals tend to only show subscription entitlement and allocation, rather than actual usage. This lack of visibility means that organizations struggle to identify unused and underutilized licenses.
Cloud Asset Management Solution from Certero
Traditional Software Asset Management (SAM) vendors have designed solutions to manage on-premise licensing models. Now these same vendors are trying to extend that approach to accommodate the complexities of Cloud. Certero firmly believes that the particular challenges of Cloud Asset Management require an alternative approach, quite distinct from traditional SAM.
Effective Cloud Asset Management is able to account properly for all the nuances of ‘usage’ and ensure that you are in full control of your Cloud estate, paying only for what you truly need.
Understand Your Entire Cloud Estate
- Gain expanded access to subscription data within SaaS, PaaS and IaaS portals, overcoming bottlenecks and increasing visibility for decision makers across the organization
- Discovery of key SaaS applications in use across the organization, regardless of which department purchased the subscription
- Virtual machine discovery across public Cloud vendors, including a full inventory of software components running in each environment
- Accurately capture usage data covering key SaaS applications and PaaS/IaaS environments
Support Business Decision-Making
- Advanced analytics and reporting improves insight and understanding of subscription and usage data held within SaaS, PaaS and IaaS portals
- Access deep, component-level utilization metrics on key Cloud applications
- Generate a consolidated view of all applications, environments and devices in use across on-premise, public and private Clouds and mobile
- Highlight risks associated with software usage in public Cloud environments
Only Pay For What You Need
- Identify and assist in the reassignment of duplicate or unused Cloud subscriptions
- Ensure assignment of the most cost-effective subscription level for each user
- Proactively manage and negotiate Cloud agreement renewals
- Ensure effective governance and cost control with role and responsibility based access for IaaS and PaaS environments
Accurate discovery, inventory and consumption tracking of applications delivered in the Cloud
Precise and granular insight into SaaS, PaaS and IaaS usage across your organization, regardless of who is using or paying for them
Accurate, complete view of investments and their usage across the whole IT estate enabling better budgeting, forecasting and cost allocation
Overcome the limitations of Cloud portals with single pane of glass visibility of the Cloud estate
Improve analysis and reporting of all Cloud applications with a single data source
Information from the Cloud can be combined with that for on-premise deployments, providing a complete end-to-end view of your IT infrastructure
Successfully manage Cloud migration projects, safe in the knowledge that any subsequent investment will be properly managed for maximum ROI