Rotherham Metropolitan Borough CouncilEnjoying savings in staff time, faster software deployment, and improved license optimization by implementing AssetStudio for Windows & macOS
Rotherham is a thriving borough in South Yorkshire, at the centre of the UK. It is home to over 250,000 residents. Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council is the local authority for the area. It is a metropolitan district council, one of four in South Yorkshire. The council was created by the Local Government Act 1972. The current local authority was first elected in 1973, a year before formally coming into its powers and prior to the creation of the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham on 1 April 1974. The council gained borough status, entitling it to be known as Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council.
In 2011 the Council was looking to move away from an outsourcing contract and needed to fully understand and accurately quantify the scope of its IT estate. With some 4000 users, the majority of which utilise laptops, spread over many physical sites, gathering this information would prove time consuming and costly.
The Council identified the need for a software tool to help with both IT Asset Management (ITAM) and Software Asset Management (SAM).
A number of products were thoroughly evaluated before AssetStudio for Windows & macOS was chosen. It was initially deployed within the Council on a proof-of-concept basis before being implemented in 2012. Installation was quick and easy, with the Council was up-and-running on the platform within 1 day.
AssetStudio for Windows & macOS is easy-to-use with a clear GUI that ensures a rapid ROI with minimal user training required to be effective, it:
- Enhances existing ITAM capability to deliver end-to-end SAM
- Supports all virtualization platforms
- Delivers advanced discovery & inventory with 100% accurate and detailed information
- Will quickly help establish an Effective License Position (ELP) and provide basis for optimisation of software estate
- Can enforce compliance and enable futureproofing
AssetStudio for Windows & macOS has now delivered Rotherham Metropolican Borough Council the following benefits:
- Savings in IT staff time – information can be collected remotely, easily and quickly without the need to contact individual users.
- Faster software deployment – upgrades can be centrally pushed out to the user whilst old software can be remotely removed.
- Helped the Council quickly transition – from an external managed service to in-house management of software assets.
- Reduced impact of vendor software audits – both from reduced time spent on the audit itself and reducing the need to purchase extra licenses and pay expensive non-compliance penalties. Reduces the time spent collecting information freeing up staff to optimize licensing position
Working with Certero is easy. They are extremely knowledgeable about SAM and ITAM and provide lots of information and advice. AssetStudio for Windows & macOS has really helped the Council get a thorough understanding of our software licensing position and helped us navigate vendor audits.Shabnam Noreen