Just because Adobe is stopping auditing you can’t forget SAM
It has been widely reported by Gartner research director Stephen White, that Adobe is stopping license audits in Europe. This follows on from similar decisions made in America and Asia/Pacific last November. Adobe confirmed that it will maintain audit/ compliance programming only in select markets throughout APAC. This news, coupled with Microsoft dropping their Software Asset Management (SAM) competency for partners, has led some to think that SAM is no longer needed. This has come as a surprise to some as until recently Adobe was one of the top five most active auditing software publishers.
After all, if 2 of the ‘mega vendors’ in the licensing arena are effectively acknowledging that they view their future as subscription-based licensing in the cloud, …then what do you do? Why do you need SAM when there is no change of you being non-compliant?
Even though Adobe is stopping auditing you still need SAM with cloud-based software
The current trend to move software to a subscription-based cloud model means you should step up your SAM program for 3 good reasons:
- Overspend – many organizations will buy more software subscriptions than they actually need, to ensure that no employee is prevented from accessing the software they require
- to do their job. Unless you have a good SAM program in place that is monitoring usage you could quite easily end up significantly overspending on subscriptions that are never used.
- Support – if, you were planning to move all your Windows Servers into the cloud, this may require Software Assurance (SA). So, you will need to manage this within SAM to ensure SA is
- maintained, otherwise you could quite easily become non-compliant.
- Desktop – despite what you may have read, not everything is in the cloud, nor is it ever likely to be. Unless your organization’s employees access all your software on a phone or tablet, you will need desktops and laptops all of which will require software to run. The software on these devices will need managing as part of your SAM processes.
So, don’t be tempted to ease off or stop your SAM activities because you believe that they will not be needed in a cloud-based future as you are likely to get a nasty surprise!
To find out more about managing your Adobe Licensing click here.