According to recent research from IAITAM (the
International Association of IT Asset Managers), the number one priority for
ITAM in 2014 is to drive down the cost of IT. Hardly new, or surprising
but each year we something similar every year suggesting that many organisations
don’t think they are optimising their costs.
In fact, the same research put ‘software license
optimization’ and ‘software audit readiness’ at positions six and seven
respectively. And with software accounting for upwards of 30% of the overall IT
spend each year, there’s good reason to look at costs, optimization and
So how can ITAM professionals deliver the desired
cost savings while at the same time optimizing software licensing and preparing
for an audit? Here are some recommendations:
- Ensure that the inventory data is accurate and sources are
reliable. The success of the Software Licence Optimisation tool is
premised on this data.
- If there is an existing ITAM repository tool or configuration management
database (CMDB) in place, ensure that out-of-the-box integrations are available
with the Software Licence Optimisation tool.
- Select a Software Licence Optimisation tool based upon its ability to
support licensing models across the software portfolio, not just the vendors
that are problems today.
- Ensure your IT Asset Management tool is equipped for licence management
– the outcomes are premised on the accuracy of the inventory data i.e. garbage
in – garbage out!
Effective Software Licence Optimisation (SLO) can
provide many benefits including maximising existing software licenses, on-going
compliance – all leading to reduce operating costs.